Epiphanies

When you follow your bliss, doors will open where you would not have thought there would be doors and where there wouldn't be a door for anyone else -- Joseph Campbell.

The First One for 09

I’m trying out a new venture. For years, I’ve thought about waking up early in the morning to spend at least half an hour writing before I start my day, but I’ve never actually done it.

Since I’m making some major changes in my life, waking up early to write is going to be one of them.

The others are to exercise more (check), eat and drink better (check), read more outside academia (working on it) and imbibe the principles of Buddhism into my life past intellectual knowledge (working on that too). As an aside, I’m quite enamored by HH The Dalai Lama, and I’ve begun reading a book of his quotes. The key is to live by his teachings. Nirvana? Some day.

It’s difficult to break old habits. I’m not an early riser – never have been. Even more so because my bed is the center of gravity. But no matter – I’ve always taken stock in the old proverb, “A bad workman always blames his tools.” I’m rigorously applying this adage to myself so I can stop whining and making excuses and just write. I mean, seriously.

Early morning observations today….
1. I’ve woken up to a morning after a snow fall and right now it’s really, really quiet. The only sounds I hear are of the snow shovels scraping the ground, the floorboards creaking under the weight of the weather, and of my feet, and the tap-tap-tap of my keyboard.
2. There’s perfect stillness in the air. In a short while, the day will begin, the world will get back to working and the stillness will be gone.
3. I may keep waking up this early just to breed familiarity with this stillness. Perhaps, someday, I may even be able to write about it.

Hopefully, I'll be back tomorrow. But like JGT told me...I ain't gawn sweat it...

2 comments:

Juhibk said...

Doesn't it feel good to start writing again? I got a kick start with the 25 random things note.

SV said...

wow..happy for u love! now i gotta get my own cart rollin, definitely inspired! love the way u play with words.keep up the good work!!